Ear candling is an ancient practice that involves inserting a long, hollow, cone-shaped candle into the ear canal. The candle is lit, and the heat from the flame causes suction that is said to draw out earwax, toxins, and fungus from the ear. Ear candling is not scientifically proven to be an effective method of removing earwax or toxins from the ear but alternative therapists believe in ear candling benefits.
Ear wax accumulation is a problem
Ear wax accumulation can cause a range of problems, from temporary hearing loss to pain and discomfort in the ear. It can also lead to infections, as the build-up of wax can trap bacteria, leading to inflammation and infection. In severe cases, the wax can travel further into the ear, blocking the ear canal and leading to a feeling of fullness in the ear. If the wax builds up to the point where it is hard to remove, it can cause a blockage, preventing sound from entering the ear and leading to hearing loss. To prevent these issues, it is important to regularly clean the ears and maintain a healthy wax balance.
Ear candling became popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s as a natural beneficial way to clean the inner ear and remove wax buildup. It was marketed as a holistic treatment for a variety of ailments, such as sinusitis, headaches, and even hearing loss. People began to use ear candling as an alternative to over-the-counter products and medical interventions. The popularity of ear candling has steadily grown over the years despite lack of scientific evidence.
How ear candling is claimed to work ?
The process involves placing a hollow candle made of beeswax and herbs into the ear canal and then lighting the wick. As the candle burns, the heat from the flame helps to create a vacuum effect, drawing out dirt, debris, and earwax from the ear canal. This helps to reduce the amount of blockage in the ear, resulting in improved hearing and a better overall sense of well-being. There are two theories proposed for this action :
- Chimney effect : The heat from the burning candle causes a decrease in air pressure in the ear, creating a vacuum that helps to draw out wax, dirt, and bacteria from the ear.
- Heat Liquifies wax: Another theory suggests that when the ear is candled, the wax does not get drawn out immediately, but rather the heat from the candle causes the wax to liquify, and it will then be expelled from the ear over the next few days.
Is ear candling safe ? The drawbacks
While the practice may seem harmless enough, there are potential risks associated with it.
The most common include burns to the ear canal, inner ear damage, and even perforation of the eardrum. There have also been reports of people experiencing dizziness, vertigo, and even nerve damage after ear candling.
For these reasons, it is important to talk to your doctor before engaging in ear candling. Your doctor can help you decide if it’s a safe option for you. Additionally, ear candling should not be performed on children or on anyone with a damaged eardrum.
Common risks :
- Ear canal obstruction
- Temporary hearing problems
- Extensive otitis externa
- Perforation of the tympanic membrane
Who can perform ear candling ?
Ear candling procedure that can be done by a professional such as a beautician or alternative therapist, or done at home using a kit. Using ear candling treatment can be a great way to get rid of ear wax and other impurities in your ears. However, it is important to remember that it should only be used with caution. If not used correctly, it can cause serious harm to your ears and surrounding areas. So before you decide to go for ear candling, make sure you have done your research and understand the risks involved. After all, you don’t want to end up with a burnt neck or ears!
Ear candling benefits
Proponents of ear candling claim that it can provide relief from a variety of conditions, including earache, tinnitus, sinus congestion, and hearing loss. It is also thought to improve balance and clarity of hearing, as well as reduce allergies and stress.
In addition to its physical benefits, ear candling is said to have spiritual and energetic benefits. These benefits may include improved mental clarity and focus, increased creativity, and a greater sense of spiritual connection. The advocates of ear candling say that the therapy can –
- Improve hearing: temporarily improve hearing by removing debris and wax from the ear canal.
- Improve balance: improve balance by reducing the amount of ear wax in the ear canal.
- Reduce ear pain: reduce ear pain caused by pressure, sinus infections, and other ailments.
- Improve mental clarity: reduce the amount of wax in the ear canal, thus improving mental clarity.
- Improve sense of smell: improve the sense of smell by removing debris and wax from the ear canal.
- Improve overall health: improve overall health by removing toxins and other impurities from the body.
Overall, ear candling is a safe and natural practice although modern medicine system does not approve it.
In summary, the ‘claimed’ ear candling benefits are :
- Cleaning the ear canal of wax, bacteria, and other debris
- Sinus infection treatment
- Restoring or reversing hearing loss
- Sore throat relief
- Colds and flu treatment
- Headache and migraine relief
- Enhancing mental clarity
- Improving lymphatic circulation by purifying the blood
- Improving vision and clearing the eyes
- Pain relief from jaw aches and temporomandibular disorders
- Lowering tension and stress lowering vertigo